Panasonic to stop manufacturing plasma TVs

Cleveland - Though plasma is the better technology when it comes to a good looking picture, the end days of plasma TVs are drawing near. Panasonic, the manufacturer of the best looking plasma displays, has announced an end to production of them.

Plasma TV had a rough road. Being the first flat panel TV to market they were very expensive at first. Then came the rumors. The gas inside could kill you. You had to refill the gas. It was crazy. Where did these nonsensical rumors originate?

Then came LCD offering an inferior picture but a cheaper price. Manufacturers were also able to incorporate 1080P into LCD sets sooner and less expensively than plasma.

I'm guilty in helping the demise of plasma as well. Most TVs are installed in rooms with windows. Plasma screens reflected sunlight to an annoying degree whereas LCD's more matte-like finish didn't. So I recommended them over plasma.

The plasma TV is also less energy efficient. They also weigh more. I don't know why that was a factor in my mind, but it was.

Anyway, next March Panasonic will stop selling plasma TVs. Expect a run on them. Here's the story from CNET, RIP Panasonic plasma TVs: Reactions from industry experts.